HELP: Starting Off
Quick Hints for the Impatient
Clicking the button at the left side of the lower frame (which should soon appear, if it has not already) brings up a window that provides acesses to all of the "Advanced Features"
This Advanced Features window offers six "Views" of all this site's data. The view made visible in the window can be changed via the window's menu:
- Full Name Search
- All the names in the database
- Surname Search
- All the surnames in the database
- Soundex Search
- All the surnames in the database, sorted in soundex order.
- Family Group
- The immediate family of a selected individual
- Ancestor Chart
- A chart of the ancestors of the selected individual
- Descendant Chart
- A chart of the Descendants of a selected individual
- Display Record
- A link to the selected individual's entry in the site's detailed records.
- You can print any View, including the ancestors and descendants charts, by means of the Print item on the Advanced Features menu. This builds an HTML equivalent of the view which you then can print using your browser's built-in capabilities. Follow the prompts as they appear.
- You select an individual in any View by clicking on him/her. Double-clicking selects and then automatically switches to a related View (use "Help" in the Advanced Feature's menu for more details).
- You can navigate through the relatives of a selected individual on any of the Chart Views via the "Navigate" menu item of the Advanced Features window or through the Hot-Keys shown on that same menu item.
If your need additional assistance in using the advanced features, please use the HELP menu-item which will be displayed in the Advanced Features window when it appears. You may also find it useful to consult the more detailed version of this help file.
Additional Information for the More Patient
Recognizing and Interpreting Estimated Dates
Life-span dates in the form "(bbbb - dddd)" will appear after the names of most individuals. These life-span dates have been generated from the information in the source-GEDCOM. In cases where the GEDCOM contains explicit birth or death dates in one form or another (e.g ranges, after-dates, etc.), these are used. In cases where birth dates are omitted in the GEDCOM, estimates for these birth dates have been calculated. Estimates for omitted death dates are never used.
The following codes in the life-span fields describe the source and accuracy of the particular date:
- the absence of any special code indicates the year is shown in the sourceGEDCOM without any qualifiers
- ~ denotes an approximation as given in the source-GEDCOM
- < denotes that the date is given in the source-GEDCOM as not later than the year shown
- > denotes that the date is given in the source-GEDCOM as not earlier than the year shown
- r denotes that this is the mid-point of a date range given in the source-GEDCOM
- ? denotes that the date is omitted in the source-GEDCOM and it was not possible to calculate an approximation
- * denotes a calculated rough approximation that is not explicitly in the source-GEDCOM
- b denotes a baptism or burial date, as appropriate in the context
In preparing the information for this site, a filter may have been used which surpressed information on certain classes of individuals (e.g. those born within the last seventy five years). In the case of any of those individuals, no detailed-entry will appear for them and references to them in the master-entries of others may have (optionally) been replaced by the phrase "private".
NEED ADDITIONAL HELP?
RSH Web Virtual Servers